Sunday, October 05, 2003

Shameless Excuse to Recycle Old Joke 3


I've just seen in The Thinker that I missed the re-run of the 1970 election night special on BBC Parliament last week. I was thirteen at the time (the first time round that is, not last week) and not that interested in politics, although I do remember the '74 election.

Television election coverage was brilliantly and mercilessly sent up by Monty Python, of course. Most political saddoes my age can quote chunks of the Silly Party/ Sensible Party sketch verbatim, and given half a chance many of us will boringly point out that the famous Monster Raving Lonny candidate Tarquin Limbimbusstopfertangfurtangfurtangolebiscuitbarrel nicked the name from the skit.

But for me the funniest moment was when John Cleese said, "I've just heard that Arthur Neegus has held Bristols. That's not a result, it's just a bit of gossip."

I thang you.